If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is an amalgamation of two Genius Recipes: Diane Kochilas’ Pasta with Yogurt and Caramelized Onion and Trent Pierce’s Miso-Creamed Kale—leaving out some of each recipe’s ingredients so the two come together in one harmonious pasta dish that’s genius all on its own. We made this version with Tillamook Plain and Simple Greek Yogurt. —Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch lacinato (also called Tuscan) kale, stems removed, roughly chopped (about 4 to 6 cups packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound tagliatelle or other fresh pasta
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 cup coarsely grated kefalotyri or pecorino Romano
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, making sure to salt the water enough that you can taste it.
- Meanwhile, place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. When melted, add the shallot and garlic. Cook over low heat without letting the garlic and shallots color, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the kale and continue to cook for a few more minutes until wilted. If it won't all fit in the pan, just add what's left after it's cooked down a bit.
- Once the kale is wilted and soft, increase the heat to medium high, add the vermouth and cook until it’s just evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the cream, stirring until completely incorporated. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 2 more minutes until the sauce reduces slightly and tightens up the around the kale. Add the red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Add the pasta and cook until soft, not al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Combine the yogurt with 1/4 cup cooking water and mix well. Add more of the reserved pasta water as needed to get the sauce to your thickness. Drain the pasta and toss with the yogurt mixture.
- Serve the pasta immediately, with a generous amount of cheese and topped with the creamed spicy greens.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!