If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: the best thing that happened to pumpkin since all that spice business. —Katherine Hysmith
Makes one 9-inch pie
- 1 round pie dough (use your favorite recipe)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup halvah, crumbled
- egg wash (1 egg mixed with a bit of water)
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough and cut to the pie pan. Flute or crimp edges or braid extra pie dough into a thin braid and affix with a bit of the egg wash. Place the pie shell on a larger cookie sheet and bake until the crust is set and barely golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- While the crust parbakes, mix together the sugar, salt, spices, pumpkin, eggs, and half and half. Pour the filling into the crust, brush the edges with the egg wash, and return to the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the filling is a little set (read: very wiggly, but not watery). Gingerly distribute the halvah crumbles on top of the filling. Return to oven and continue to bake until the filling is completely set. Cool completely before slicing and serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall