This recipe combines a blend of freshly pressed juices from organic red pears and a variety of locally harvested New England apples. Before adding your choice of whiskey the apple cider is simmered with a seasonal blend of spices and dried citrus peel, which you can find in a majority of mulling spice mixes. Then set to a low simmer, the cider sits in the slow cooker up to 4 hours, filling your entire kitchen with autumnal magic. Enjoy your Apple Whiskey Cider with your favorite brand of whiskey (we recommend Wild Turkey 81), this festive recipe is definitely one to share with friends and family members at your next holiday party! —The Avant-Garden
organic apples, cored
organic red pears, cored
whiskey (per glass of apple cider)
cinnamon sticks (set a few aside for garnish)
Vitamix (or standard juicer)
cheesecloth (or tea infuser)
small cutting knife
In This Recipe
1. Using a small sharp knife, cut the apples and pears into large pieces. Discard the cores and any seeds.
2. Add the apple and pear slices into the Vitamix (or standard juicer). Pour 16 oz of water into Vitamix and blend until all ingredients are fully combined into a liquid form.
3. Strain the apple/pear juice over the slow cooker, making sure to catch any remaining bits of fruit.
4. Tie 4 Tablespoons of mulling spices into a cheesecloth square and add to the slow cooker. Or if you own a tea infuser feel free to fill it with mulling spices instead. Either method works well.
5. Add in 4 whole cinnamon sticks.
6. Turn the slow cooker on low heat and bring the cider to a simmer, about 2 – 4 hours. Stir occasionally.
7. Once you’re ready to serve, ladle 1 cup of hot cider into each glass (this recipe can make up to 8 cups). Then top off each glass of cider with a shot of whiskey and gently stir. For a festive touch, garnish your glass of cider with a sprig of fresh rosemary, happy drinking!