If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Just an old fashioned apple pie recipe with a hint of bourbon for a smooth apple flavor. —Julie | Sweet and Spicy Monkey
Makes 1 - 9" pie
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 teaspoons bourbon
- 1 double pie crust (store or homemade)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together lemon juice, brown and white sugars, cinnamon, apple pie spice, nutmeg, sea salt, and 2 teaspoons of bourbon. As you peel, core, and dice your apples, toss them into the bowl with sugar and spices and mix to allow the apples to start macerating. After all the apples are in the bowl, mix together so apples are covered with sugar and spice mixture, and let sit at room temperature for about 1 to 3 hours.
- Prepare your pie dough at this time. If using store bought pie crust, remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. This helps it roll out easier without cracking. Place into pie pan.
- After apple mix has set out, mix together and strain out 1/2 cup of their juices.
- Add the juice and butter to a small saucepan. Cook over medium to high heat until it becomes thick and syrup-like, about 10 minutes.
- Combine syrup, cornstarch, and remaining 2 teaspoons of bourbon with apples and mix together.
- Pour apples into prepared pie shell. Cover with remaining pie shell. Make a few slices in top crust to help vent while baking.
- Transfer into oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of baking, you might have to place aluminum foil around the edges so pie crust will not burn.
- After 45 minutes, remove pie from oven and brush with warmed sugar water (mix the 1/4 cup of warm water with 1 Tablespoon of sugar)
- Place back into oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until pie crust is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2 to 3 hours. Best served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall