If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What you need for this job is a bit of patience to start with, a good piece of ocean trout, some spices and herbs. Also the a good baguette and creme fraiche for serving and if you add a glass of wine to it you are well off for a great brunch or lunch. Over time I’ve tried a different versions and the one I am sharing today is my most favourite one. —Jasmina Gajic
Makes 25 canapés
- 500 grams ocean trout
- 200 grams sugar
- 200 grams salt
- 1 piece star anise
- 2 pieces whole black pepper
- 2 pieces coriander seeds
- 1/4 bunch coriander
- 1 piece baguette
- 100 grams creme fraiche
- 1 piece lemon zest
- 1 piece shallots - sliced thinly
- Clean and wash the piece of ocean trout. Dry with a cloth to remove any extra water.
- Grind the spices in a mortal and pestle. Mix the salt and sugar, add the spices and mix all until combined.
- Place clear wrap on the working bench (it needs to be long enough to wrap the whole piece of fish) and cover the middle of the glad wrap with half of the sugar and salt mixture. Place the fish on it and sprinkle lemon zest and coriander on the top. Pour the other half of the sugar and salt mixture on the top and wrap tightly with clear wrap. You need to do it three times, so the fish is nicely tucked in the sugar and salt mixture. The first layer will be the hardest one to wrap, but you’ll have to manage somehow if you want to finish the job. On the second layer it’s easier to tighten the clear wrap around the ocean trout, which is necessary if you want the fish to be cured. Thus it’s very important that trout is also equally covered with sugar and salt mixture.
- Leave in the fridge for 48 hours but you have to turn it over after 24 hours so it’s cured evenly.
- When it’s done take it from the fridge and wash thoroughly. Dry with the clean kitchen towel and place in an airtight container, whole or sliced. You can keep it in the fridge for several days.
- Add lemon zest to creme fraiche and stir until all lemon zest is nicely incorporated into the creme fraiche.
- To assemble: spread creme fraiche on a slice of the baguette. Place one thin piece of ocean trout on the top and sprinkle capers, shallots and coriander.
- I say nothing can beat that colour to start with but the taste – well you have to try it yourself!