An otherwise traditional pumpkin pie recipe, this paleo-friendly recipe offers even greater depth of flavor from the buttery piecrust combined with the slight bite of autumn spices and molasses-rich pumpkin-filling. You’ll be creating a cookie-like press-in crust using ground pecans, fresh organic dates, grass-fed butter and coconut flour for your pumpkin pie crust, then combining a mix of spices and molasses into your pumpkin filling. —The Avant-Garden
whole pecans (set aside for garnish)
dates, pitted and cut
pie dish (9 inches)
mixing bowl (large)
Pumpkin Filling Ingredients
eggs, lightly beaten
mixing bowl (large)
In This Recipe
PREPARING YOUR PIE CRUST:
1. Position a rack in the lower third of an oven. Place a cookie sheet on the rack. Preheat to 400°F
2. Pour 1 cup of whole pecans in a food processor and process until they are finely ground. If you don’t have a food processor you can always use a coffee grinder. One thought to keep in mind is the coffee grinder can only hold so many whole pecans, you’ll most likely have to repeat this step several times.
3. Sift the coconut flour before mixing any of the piecrust ingredients together. This method will help to break down any lumps in the flour.
4. Over low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of grass-fed butter. Once the butter has completely melted, quickly remove from heat.
5. Pour the ground pecans into one of the mixing bowls, add 1/2 cup of coconut flour, and the chopped dates. Slowly pour the melted butter over the dry ingredients. Using a wooden spatula, work the dry ingredients into the butter until the dough comes together in large clumps.
6. Gently press into the piecrust mixture using the palm of your hand and covering the entire bottom and sides of the pie dish. Set aside.
PREPARING YOUR PUMPKIN FILLING
1. In a large mixing bowl, use a wire whisk to lightly beat the eggs. Then pour in the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, molasses, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, and cardamon. Stir until the mixture is well combined. Add 2-4 drops of liquid Stevia and stir for one additional minute.
PREPARING YOUR PUMPKIN PIE
1. Pour the pumpkin pie mixture into the prepared pie dish and smooth the top.
2. Garnish the edge and center of the pie with any leftover whole pieces of pecans. This will add a simplistic, yet decorative finish to your pumpkin pie.
3. Bake until the pie filling and crust has turned to a dark shade of golden brown, about 45 minutes. Insert a thin skewer into the center of the pie to make sure the entire pie has fully cooked.
4. Transfer the pie to a wire rack, let cool and enjoy!