If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Apple Strudel Cake or Apfelkuchen as we call it in Germany is a delicious and mouth-watering treat to celebrate the change of the season or any other occasion. —Sunnycovechef
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose organic white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 9 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- a pinch of salt
the Filling and Glaze
- 1 ½ pounds firm apples
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- ¼ cups toasted and slivered almonds
- ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit ( 200 degree Celsius). To make the dough by hand, put the flour on a flat surface and make a bowl in the middle for the egg, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Cut the butter into ½ inch small pieces and place on top of the mound of flour. Think of a volcano with some butter on the ridge and a hole in the middle. Starting from the outside, mix the ingredients into a ball. Use the palm of your hand to smear some of the butter. DO NOT OVER MIX. It is okay to have some pieces of butter left in the dough. Flatten the dough and make two disks, one a little bit larger than the other, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for ½ hour or overnight. The bottom piece needs more dough to build up the sides of the pan.
- In the meantime , peel and core the apples and thinly slice them. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples.
- To roll out the dough, cut out four 14-inch square pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Put two pieces of plastic wrap on baking surface, sprinkle flour on the plastic wrap . Put the dough in the center and cover with the two other plastic wrap pieces and roll the disk into a 9-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Roll from the center. If the dough starts to stick, peel off the plastic wrap and put it back on, continuing to roll out the disk. Roll from both sides by flipping the dough over. This will prevent the dough from sticking to the wrap. Remove one sheet of plastic wrap and invert the dough into a 9 inch cake pan with a removable bottom Then remove the remaining plastic wrap. Press the dough into the pan and up on the sides, cutting off any dough overhang. Use the dough scraps to patch any cracks.
- Mix the sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl and set aside. Sprinkle the bottom of the dough with breadcrumbs, mix the apples with the raisins and the almonds, add to the cake, don't add the juices that have accumulated in the bowl. Sprinkle with the sugar cinnamon mixture. Roll out the second disk of dough and cover the apple filling with it. Make a cross slit in the center of the cake and put the cake on a cookie sheet (to catch any drippings).
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes until the dough is lightly colored.
- To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a smooth glaze. Add some more powdered sugar if the glaze is too thin.
- As soon as you take the cake out of the oven, remove the outer ring of the tart form. Cool slightly and spread the glaze evenly over the cake.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall