If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There exists to this day a landmark eatery in Mumbai, Located near CST (previously known as Victoria Terminus or VT - the rail terminus for local and long distance trains), Pancham Puriwala is an u assuming storefron and the most vivid memories that I carry from a looong time ago is this HUGE cauldron liek wok that was always bubbling with Oil (It may have been ghee, not sure), and there was always a sea of puries (deep fried flatbread) being prepared. The meal those days was simple, Puri and two vegetables , one was a potato dish and the other was this absolutely magical tasting pumpkin stew. It was a simple uncomplicated dish, diced pumpkin, cooked with onions and tomatoes, flavored with hing (asafetida) with a generous sprinkle of powdered cumin and coriander .
Times have changed, The shop has been modernized , rechristened as 'Punchams', and the menu expanded but I believe the originals are still in demand. —Panfusine
- 4 cups diced cheese or calabaza pumpkin
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1-2 serrano chillies diced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or Kashmiri chili powder (the non heat variety)
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- 2 tablespoons blend of coriander and cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- slices of lime
- cilantro for garnish
- water as needed
- in a coffee grinder combine 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds and 1 tablespoon of cumin, crush to a powder and use 2 tablespoons for spicing
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin when it gets to smoking. when the cumin 'splits' add the diced serrano & ginger and give it a stir. Add the onions and fry until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the tomatoes along with the asafetida , paprika and turmeric and tip in the diced pumpkin, salt. add water, bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Cover and cook until the pumpkins are cooked to a 'fork tender' consistency. add the cumin coriander spice blend and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes till the flavors combine. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro. Serve warm with roti , naan or poories. add lime juice as per personal taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory (Winter) Squash Recipe