Author Notes: Pico de gallo is a Mexican relish composed of raw jalapeno, onion, ripe tomato, lime juice, and cilantro. The ingredients are simply chopped and tossed. Pureed, you call this salsa. It is good on everything from tortilla chips, sandwiches, and eggs, to steak and seafood. The better question, really, is what is it not good on (dessert)? This recipe gives you the basic, everyday version, but I it is so easy to change pico de gallo up, that I have included other ingredients as options. This can be made up to 4 hours ahead and will keep in the refrigerator for several days. - Waverly —Waverly
Food52 Review: A wonderful pico de gallo. The onions, tomatoes and cilantro are well balanced. A punch of crisp cucumber, crunchy jicama, creamy avocado or sweet mango adds something special. Try it with any combination of the four. - Stephanie —The Editors
Makes 2 cups
- 1 fresh jalapeno or 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh ripe tomato, any type
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup white or red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup jicama, cucumber, or ripe mango peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped (also optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a covered storage container. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add a dollop to anything and you'll soon want to eat it with everything.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment