If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe uses bacon, the trinity, butter beans, and Worcestershire, giving it a slightly Southern flavor. —Mamamel
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 sweet, yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 colored bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup Sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- salt, pepper, and powdered sage
- 2 very large Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cups mushroom broth (or more if needed to cover the vegetables)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can baby butter beans (Margaret Holmes Brand)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- In Dutch oven, saute the bacon until wilted but not browned
- Add onion, peppers, and celery and saute until golden.
- Sprinkle chicken with flour, salt, pepper, and sage. Add to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Deglaze the pan with Sherry.
- Add mushroom broth, potatoes, and carrots. Simmer until the vegetables are soft.
- Add cream of chicken soup and stir well.
- Remove from heat and while cooling, make a butter pie crust: Blend together flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in small pieces of butter using a pastry blender. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough pulls from the side of the bowl.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator. If desired, chill the filling overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Place filling in a pie dish. Roll out the dough, trim, and place on top of the filling.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.