If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Super easy recipe for classic braised beef ragu over penne pasta, with ricotta. Hearty, tender, & delish! —Holly
- 2 pounds beef round center cut, bottom roast
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste heaping spoonfuls!
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt & pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta, such as penne
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned & thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (for garnish)
- Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Season the meat with 1 teaspoons salt & 2 teaspoons pepper, then braise on all sides.
- Add all ingredients into crock-pot except for the pasta, ricotta, Parmesan and mushrooms. Cook on high for 5-51/2 hours.
- Remove meat from the crock-pot, let it cool slightly and pull and set aside (remove any fat and discard).
- Cook mushrooms in large sauce pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 3 minutes a side.
- Then add all the juice from the crock pot into the saucepan, remove the bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Now add uncooked pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is done to likeness (stir occasionally to ensure the pasta cooks evenly).
- Add pulled meat to the sauce, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with parsley & serve with dollops of ricotta cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Now and Later