If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A thin layer of almond paste between the crust and the filling of this apple pie recipe, which comes from the Odense almond paste can, serves a dual purpose: Adding a nutty, sugary almond flavor much like an almond croissant, and helping keep the bottom crust from getting soggy. —Posie (Harwood) Brien
Makes: one 9" pie
recipe for double pie crust (this is a good one! https://food52.com/recipes...)
pounds apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
tablespoon lemon juice
cup all-purpose flour
teaspoons ground cinnamon (I use Vietnamese cinnamon)
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon kosher salt
ounces almond paste
tablespoons butter, melted
milk + sugar, for the crust
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples with the lemon juice. Whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a separate bowl, then toss with the apples and lemon juice.
- Roll out your bottom crust and transfer it to a 9" pie plate. Press it up the sides.
- Take your almond paste, and roll it out into a thin circle, about 9" in diameter. It shouldn't be any thicker than about 1/8" -- if it is, set some aside for another use. Transfer the thin disc of almond paste to the pie plate and press it gently on top of your bottom crust.
- Fill your pie crust with the sliced apple mixture. Dot the top of the apples with the melted butter. Place in the refrigerator while you roll out the top crust.
- Roll out the top crust. Transfer it to the top of your pie plate and crimp the edges. Cut 5 slits in the top of the crust in the center to let steam escape. Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar (optional).
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 375°F and bake for 35-40 minutes more, until the fruit is soft and bubbling and the crust is golden. If the crust is browning too quickly, you can cover it with foil.
- Remove from the oven and let the pie cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!