If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish of Eggs in Purgatory is made with spiced tomato sauce, marinara sauce, Bella mushrooms, eggs, and mozzarella cheese. A delicious and easy to make one-skillet dish your whole family will love. —Julie | Sweet and Spicy Monkey
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 large package of Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- dashes onion powder
- dashes garlic powder
- dashes Smoked paprika
- dashes black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4-5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is warmed, add diced onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add in tomato and marinara sauces, oregano, salt, chile powder, red pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and pepper. Continue cooking over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Set temperature to Low or simmer, cover pan and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Break 1 egg in a small bowl. Using a large spoon, make a small hole in sauce and pour egg in, like a nest. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Place cover over pan and cook over low to medium heat for about 10 to 20 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolks are cooked to preference.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top about 2 minutes before removing cover so it can melt.
- Remove cover, turn off heat, and remove pan from burner. Serve immediately with bread or over biscuits.