If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a tried and true family favorite, created years ago to use up leftovers and known as Mexican Casserole amongst my family and friends. It used to be a leftovers recipe, now it's the dinner my son wants before he leaves for college. It's very forgiving, and variety of proteins and vegetables can be used. I will confess to having using a can of cream of celery soup when my kids were little, but no more :) —Leith Devine
- 12-18 corn (or flour) tortillas
- 2 cups leftover turkey or chicken, chopped
- 1-2 cups vegetables, cooked (corn, peas, spinach etc)
- 1 1/2 cups grated "mexican" or cheddar cheese
- 28 ounces can green enchilada sauce, mild
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 4.5 ounces can green chiles, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream of celery soup (optional and if your kids are small!)
- crushed tortilla chips
- Stack the tortillas a few at a time and slice into 1 inch strips. Set aside.
- Chop the turkey or chicken into bite sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix together green enchilada sauce, sour cream, green chiles, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, (optional cream of celery soup!:). Set aside.
- Grease a 9 x12 casserole. Put enough sauce on the bottom to cover. Place a layer of tortilla strips down to cover the bottom.
- Add a layer of turkey, then vegetables, then a sprinkle of cheese.
- Spread some sauce on top, then add a another layer of tortillas. It's important that the tortillas are next to the sauce because they need to soften up before cooking.
- Repeat layers, finishing up with the rest of the sauce. Use 1 cup of cheese for casserole.
- Set aside for 1/2 hour for tortillas to soften. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top for crunch and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. Serve with guacamole, sour cream and hot sauce!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Thanksgiving Leftovers