If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cabbage smothered in spiced, topped with fresh cilantro and paired with potatoes for texture. —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 small yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium heated green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- fresh cilantro for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once hot, add the mustard and cumin seeds, and cook until they start to sputter, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add the salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, and red pepper (if using), and stir to combine. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add the chopped potato and tomato, mix to combine well, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage, water, and apple cider vinegar. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage has cooked down and potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt if needed. Serve hot topped with plenty of fresh cilantro.