If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Festive occasions marking St. Martin`s Day throughout Europe. It is on November 11 each year and celebrates the end of the harvest season; in Croatia, it is the time when mošt (newly produced wine) is symbolically “baptized” and turned into wine ready for drinking. They say you eat bread so it is “bread that gets drunk” and not you. —anka
Serves: a crowd
grams AP flour plus some for dusting
grams fresh yeast
eggs (2 eggs for dough and 1 egg yolk for brushing)
milliliters Olive oil
milliliters warm water
- Combine a half of warm water, yeast, 1 tsp flour and sugar in a small ball. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour (leave 2-3 handfuls on the side for kneading or adding) and salt; add yeast, oil and rest of water with 2 beaten eggs. Mix to combine, adding more flour or water as necessary and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in volume about an hour.
- Dust your counter with a little flour and turn the risen dough out on it.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 27 (50-60g) portions, they should be a size little bit bigger that of a golf ball.
- To shape into grapes, tuck the edges underneath to form a ball, and then roll the dough between your palms or on the counter until round. Leave 2-3 balls for leaves.
- Arrange the balls on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper in the shape of a bunch of grapes; leaving some space between each bun, press the reserved 2-3 buns with the palm of your hand and cut into shapes for leaves.
- Let the buns rise until they fill the gap 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F).
- Brush bread with egg yolk mixed with 2-3 tbsp water.
- Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.