If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Any leftover mashed potatoes can gain a new life in the frying pan. Simply combine whatever you've got with an egg, some breadcrumbs, and spices. These potato fritters are adapted from Merrill's cheesy broccoli ones, here: https://food52.com/recipes/26127-mashed-potato-cakes-with-broccoli-and-cheese —Caroline Lange
Serves as many as you want
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, plus more as needed and some to roll the patties in
- 1 pound mashed potatoes (Yukon or sweet potatoes)
- 1 egg
- Spices, herbs, seasonings, cheese, etc. (See suggestions below!)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Set aside a small dish of breadcrumbs. Stir together the potatoes, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- Add the seasonings you're using. Add more breadcrumbs if needed; the mixture should not be particularly wet. Taste the mixture and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Heat olive or canola oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat while you form your potato mixture into patties and roll the patties in the dish of panko breadcrumbs.
- Carefully pan-fry the fritters, flipping when golden brown and crisp-looking, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
- SEASONING SUGGESTIONS: Sweet potatoes + fresh ginger + brown sugar Sweet potatoes + cilantro + cumin Sweet potatoes + cranberry sauce + minced sage Potatoes + mustard seeds + caramelized onions Potatoes + shredded Cheddar + paprika Potatoes + ranch seasoning + garlic + chives