If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One evening I found myself craving hot chocolate. After all, I had spent the whole day sick in bed, it was drizzly out (that's Vancouver for you), and all I wanted was something warm, a touch rich, and comforting. I promptly went to my pantry to pull out the fixings for hot chocolate only to discover I had no actual chocolate, just simple cocoa powder.
Now while I of course have had hot chocolate made with cocoa powder, I had it in my head rich, thick hot chocolate. So I turned to my fridge for inspiration and saw tahini. Then it hit me: cocoa + tahini + whole milk+ a little sugar and spice to bring it together just might work. Lo and behold I was not disappointed! This came together as a warm, rich drink comforting enough to melt away some of my cold and just sweet enough to satisfy my craving. I hope it gets you through a cold night, too.
Note: The amount of sugar used could easily be scaled down or up depending on your tastes. I prefer a more intense chocolate flavour and could have done even less sugar. Your call! —french_trash
- 1 mug of milk (I used whole but could replace with lower fat or non dairy)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder, (or more to taste if you like it extra bitter)
- 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar, or more to taste
- 2 star anise
- Measure out the amount of milk in the cup you plan to use. Pour into small saucepan.
- Add in remaining ingredients to pan and whisk thoroughly. Heat over low-medium heat covered, whisking every minute or so. Once it simmers but does not boil, taste to make sure you are happy with the chocolately-ness and/or sweetness and adjust if necessary.
- Pour into your mug and enjoy!