If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Creamy sausage, dill and cayenne wrapped in a buttery pastry. A delicious breakfast that frees up the host to enjoy family and friends.
Super easy. Make it ahead, freeze, bake from frozen. Travels well. Adaptable. I make one roll extra spicy, the other with just a pinch of cayenne for the kids. Betting it would also taste great made with TVP and sausage spices. You could use homemade croissant dough to please bread picky guests (like me) but give it a try the easy way and you may be happily surprised.
Make it a meal by adding citrus salad. Enjoy rave reviews from your crowd. —augustabeth
Serves 10-14 per recipe of 2
- 1 pound sausage
- 8 ounces package cream cheese
- 2 packages refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tsp fresh dill, a bit to sprinkle on top.
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus a bit to sprinkle on top
- Parchment paper
- Flour for dusting parchment
- Put sausage in a large skillet and brown over medium heat. Drain fat and stir in cream cheese, dill and cayenne pepper.
- Lightly dust parchment paper with flour. Place 1 package of dough on parchment and roll of into a 9x13" rectangle, pinching perforations together to make a uniform dough. Spoon half of sausage mixture into a rectangle in the middle, leaving about 3" on all sides. Starting at a corner, fold dough over the short end of the log, making a triangle. Repeat with each corner, pinching dough together to seal well. Then fold the long sides over the top and pinch to seal.
- Put another lightly floured sheet of parchment over top of log and flip upside down. Sprinkle the top with dill and cayenne, then fold parchment around it, wrap well in foil and freeze.
- Preheat oven to 375, remove from fridge, unwrap and place parchment paper and roll on an un greased sheet pan. Bake in top third of oven 12-15 minutes until golden brown and your kitchen smells amazing. If not frozen, bake 6-8 minutes.