Author Notes: This dish will delight even the most avid brussels sprout hater!
The marsala adds a layer of flavor and sweetness, but other wines or broth can be substituted for variation.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
Extra Virgin Olive OIl
Garlic cloves sliced thinly
Arbole or equivalent red pepper, chopped
Red onions, cut in half then into roughly 1/2" pcs.
cup Raisins, soaked in warm water
cup Sweet Marsala wine
cups Brussels Sprouts, halved
cup Chopped Italian parsley
Freshly ground pepper
- In a large saute pan, over medium to medium-high heat, add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, then add the garlic, red pepper and a pinch of salt. saute for a minute until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Drain the raisins, and add to the pan along with the bay leaves. Saute until the onions have softened.
- Add the Marsala and Brussels sprouts. Scrape the pan bottom to deglaze, and mix to combine. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are tender. Uncover the pan and continue to saute until the liquid is mostly gone. Remove the bay leaves and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the honey to glaze, mixing constantly for about a minute. Remove from the heat, add chopped parsley and mix.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, or my favorite ... refrigerate overnight and serve cold.