If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Rich & hearty, with a touch of sweetness. With stout beer, kidney beans, ground beef, molasses and brown sugar. —Holly
For The Chili:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 18 ounces stout beer (about 1 1/2 bottles)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced scallions
- sour cream
- fresh or jarred jalapenos
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions and season with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and oregano and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and another ½ teaspoon salt & pepper. Break the meat into small pieces with a spatula, and cook for 8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the kidney beans, diced tomatoes and the tomato paste, and bring to a simmer. Mix in the stout beer, molasses, brown sugar, and final 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and return to a simmer.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, cilantro, sour cream and jalapenos.