If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lemons, lemons and more lemons! What goes better with those earthy but spicy poppy seeds? I add a touch of cardamom and honey just to enhance the flavor of the poppy seeds to this classic recipe. More lemons and zest are added to a confectioner's glaze to top each muffin perfectly. If you like poppy seeds crunchy, add them after the wet and dry ingredients are combined. —Lorraine Fina Stevenski
Makes 12 regular muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup honey, local is best!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (not artificial flavor)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line and spray a 12 muffin pan. In a medium bowl, microwave the butter, poppy seeds and honey; one minute. Whisk the mixture together so all the butter melts. Set aside to cool and the poppy seeds get soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cardamom, sugar and lemon zest. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and lemon extracts and lemon juice. Whisk in the cooled butter/poppy seed mixture until combined. Add the WET ingredients to the DRY ingredients and fold together with a large rubber spatula JUST until evenly moistened and smooth. Scrape the batter down to the bottom of the bowl to get all the batter incorporated.
- Spoon the batter to the top of each muffin cup. Bake 15-18 minutes until golden brown and a tester comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in the pan and remove to a waxed paper lined tray.
- MAKE THE GLAZE: In a medium bowl, combine all the glaze ingredients with a whisk into a pourable consistency. Add more lemon juice if necessary. Drizzle over the warm muffins and let cool for 1 hour before serving.