If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the ultimate dark chocolate lover's cocoa. A mix of dark chocolate and dark cocoa powder makes this extra rich and super deep with cocoa flavor. I love using sweetened condensed milk for part of the base because it balances the bitter without compromising the chocolatey flavor. This recipe makes one cup—just multiply it as needed to serve more. —Erin McDowell
Makes 1 cup of cocoa
- 3 ounces dark chocolate (70% or higher), chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- Place the dark chocolate and cocoa powder in a heat safe bowl or liquid measuring cup.
- Bring the sweetened condensed milk and milk to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Pour the hot milk mixture over the dark chocolate and let sit for 15 seconds.
- Whisk the mixture until the chocolate is fully melted and the cocoa is smooth (if you whisk vigorously, the mixture will get frothy—if you mix slowly, it will stay smoother). Season with salt and cayenne, if using. Pour into a mug and drink warm.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: