If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Roasted cauliflower layered with a creamy tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan, pepperoni and fresh basil. —Julie Andrews
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets (about 5 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground turkey or Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 (28 oz.) cans whole San Marzano tomatoes, thoroughly drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each coarse salt, ground black pepper and granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni slices
- 0.25 cups chopped fresh parsley and basil
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cauliflower florets on a large baking sheet. Coat with two tablespoons olive oil and toss with a generous pinch of coarse salt and black pepper. Roast cauliflower for 20-25 minutes, until just tender. Remove from the oven.
- In the meantime, heat remaining two tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add ground turkey or Italian sausage and break it up with a spatula, cooking until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic, basil, oregano and fennel. Add tomatoes, crushing with the spatula, and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer at medium-high heat and allow to cook 15-20 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper and sugar. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Stir in heavy cream. Optional: Use an immersion blender to puree, if desired.
- Grease a glass or ceramic casserole dish. Layer half of the cauliflower, tomato cream sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and Parmesan cheese. Repeat with remaining cauliflower, tomato cream sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 18-20 minutes at 400 degrees, until cheese is bubbly and brown. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Serve with parsley, basil and red pepper flakes.