If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Thick, creamy and comforting vegetable soup that I prepare during the cold winter days. The addition of bechamel sauce and grated cheese makes it even more creamy. A warm hug in a bowl of soup. —Barbara Czepulonis Sorrentino
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onio
- 1 small carrot
- 1 garlic clove
- 600 grams potato
- 200 grams broccoli florets
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese of personal choice (I use cheddar and pecorino)
- 50 grams butter
- 50 grams flour
- 600 milliliters milk
- In a large pot heat the oil. Add the chopped carrot and onion and cook over medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes that has been cut into small pieces, the broccoli florets and stir.
- Cover with vegetable broth, add a pinch of salt, pepper, nutmeg and stir. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Lift the lid and cook over medium heat for another 20 - 25 minutes or until the potatoes have become very soft.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and mix well. Continue to cook over medium heat - low for another 2 minutes being careful not to burn the mixture. Begin to add the milk, stirring well each time. I recommend using the whisk to make sure that you remove all the lumps of flour. When all the milk is combined, add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook over medium - low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the soup and stir well. Cook for another few minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Before serving, add a cup of grated cheese and stir. Serve hot