If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cheese Torte Italiana, a famous cheese quiche from Vatican, is made with Gorgonzola, Fontina, and sun-dried tomatoes that will make you sing alleluia. Some people are gifted gifters. Such is my husband and his family. They always come up with the most thoughtful gifts. For my birthday I received The Vatican Cookbook from my sisters-in-law. You can’t go wrong with gifting me any cookbook actually, but this one is extra special.
A few years ago we visited Vatican during our European tour with my SIL and her husband, and I’ve been talking about going back ever since. Come to think of it maybe they just want me to shut up about it already, ha! —All that's Jas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the flour, herbs, and salt in a bowl. Blend the butter with a pastry cutter into the flour, creating a coarse, crumb-like consistency.
- Add the water, working quickly to bring the mixture to thick, pliable dough without over-kneading. If the dough is too dry add more water, half a teaspoon at a time.
- Roll the dough onto wax paper and cover with another sheet of wax paper. Refrigerate to rest for 20 minutes.
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, grated (can be substituted with Gouda, Gruyere or Provolone)
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/3 cup Gorgonzola crumbs
- seas salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- While dough is resting mix the milk, eggs, and grated Fontina cheese. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and capers to the egg and milk mixture. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the dough on the bottom of a 9-inch round quiche or pie plate. Add the filling, and crumble Gorgonzola on top. Place in the oven on lowest rack. Bake about 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.