If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is as much about the crust as it is about the fruit. Pears off the sale rack will be sweeter. —Jim Kennedy
Orange Cardamom Nut Tart Crust
- 1 cup roasted ground almonds
- 2 cups ap flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- Freshly grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 cup butter, cold, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp Ice water
- Roast almonds in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, cool. Process for 30 seconds with a tablespoon of sugar until coarse.
- In a medium mixing bowl, place sugar and orange peel. Rub together with fingers until well mixed.
- Whisk together the egg, egg yolk, vanilla and heavy cream in a small mixing bowl.
- Place flour, combined sugar and zest, salt, cardamom and baking powder in a food processor, combine for 10 seconds. Add almonds, process until combined.
- Add the butter by placing each piece into the mixture so the top is just sticking out to aid in mixing. Process for 10 seconds, or until butter pieces are just visible, no larger than the size of peas.
- Place flour mixture in large mixing bowl. With the tips of your fingers, break up any remaining pieces of butter.
- Add wet ingredients, fold until dough comes together. A soft pastry bench scraper will be good here. Add ice water as needed.
- Place dough on a floured cutting board and work until it is uniform. Fold into a disk, wrap in plastic, refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours, the longer the better. Two days will increase the flavor.
- 1 large ripe green Anjou pear
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 Cardamom Orange Nut Tart Crust
- Take crust out of refrigerator, let stand for a half hour. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Peal pear, cut into 4 sections. Core. Slice thin sections.
- For rum butter glaze, add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 2 oz dark rum, 2 tbps butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts foam.
- Place crust into tart pan (or pie pan, if necessary)
- Coat bottom of crust with marmalade.
- Layer pear slices into crust.
- Coat with rum butter glaze
- Bake in oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is brown.