Author Notes: We just got back from a week in Akumal and I have achiote on my mind ... —aargersi
pounds chicken wings
cups orange juice
packets achiote powder (we get Sazon - I think it is widely available)
tablespoons neutral oil, like canola or vegetable
salt and pepper
a handful of fresh chopped cilantro
- Trim and cut your wings, save the tips to make stock. Whisk together the OJ, juice from one lime, and achiote in a large bowl. Put the wings in and marinate for at least 2 hours, 4 is better. If they aren't completely covered make sure to stir a couple times.
- When it's wing time, heat the grill to medium or just a wee bit higher, but not blazing hot. Remove the wings from the marinade and pat them dry. Toss them with the oil and some salt and pepper (I like things salty but use your personal judgement - the achiote adds a little salt but not a ton)
- Grill the wings, checking them and turning them every few minutes. Do not walk away and do a victory touchdown dance in the living room or you may scorch a couple. Ask me how I know. Grill the wings until they are done and nice and crispy outside.
- Remove them to a platter, squeeze some more lime juice over, sprinkle with cilantro and serve. TOUCHDOWN!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Wings