If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was looking for a way to make hot cocoa with less refined sugar, and came up with the idea to use dates. Initially, I was just looking for a sweetener replacement...but then I fell in love with the caramel-y taste of the dates in my cocoa and amped it up with an extra bit of salt!
Please note: This recipe really only works in the microwave. I don't know why, but I've tried it on the stovetop and it just never thickens in the same glorious way. I wouldn't insist if it wasn't true!
As for milk, both almond and dairy work just fine.
More at my blog: http://whateverpieces.com/2017/02/06/date-salted-caramel-and-almond-milk-hot-cocoa/ —Stephanie H.
- 30 grams dried pitted medjool dates (about 2-3 depending on size)
- pinches salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or cow's milk
- 1 tablespoon coco powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- If your dates have pits, cut them in half and remove them. Cut each date into quarters. Dice and add to the jar of a blender.
- Add the salt and almond milk. Blend, blend and blend some more, until the dates have been reduced to tiny specks. (If you don't have a super high-powered blender, I find it helpful to blend the dates with half the milk first, then add the rest once they have broken down a bit.)
- Add the cocoa powder and espresso powder then run the blender for another 5-10 seconds to make sure it's fully incorporated. It will be frothy on top. Taste; add more salt if you think it's necessary. Remember, we're shooting for salted caramel.
- Pour the mixture into a microwave-safe mug (or a cup, and drink it like chocolate milk). It's going to bubble up, so shoot for a mug that holds at least 12 oz.
- Place the mug in the microwave. Heat for 1-2 minutes until hot, watching carefully. If at any time the mixture looks about to boil over, stop the microwave and stir. Repeat until it's as hot as you'd like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates