If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Challah, a jewish fluffy bread, is all about the warmth it brings and the joy that surrounds it. This recipe takes challah to the next level by integrating swirls of sweet and delicious dates, some honey and the aromas of cinnamon. —KitchenbyKim
Makes: 10 challah rolls
ounces Fresh Yeast
cups Warm Water
- Combine 1 cup warm water, the yeast (fresh or dried) and a sprinkle of sugar from the 2 cups.
- In a large mixing bowl place the flour, rest of sugar, eggs, and the salt and mix for a bit.
- Then, while the mixer is on low, add the yeast mixture, making sure that the yeast does not have any direct contact with the salt, and then add the remainder of water.
- Continue to mix on low and then mix on medium until almost all the ingredients are combined. Then add the oil and continue to mix until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 -10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl or to a greased plastic tablecloth on the counter in a draft free warm area of your kitchen. Cover with a towel (or the other half of the greased plastic tablecloth).
- Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
Mejdool Dates (Chopped)
- Once the challah has risen, add the filling mixture to the dough allowing it to swirl in and combine. (If it gets sticky add some flour) TIP: I like to knead the dough on my counter rather than in a bowl.
- Shape the dough according to your preference (Braiding instructions) and place the loaves in individual loaf pans, round pans, or on cookie sheets to rise for another 20 mins. (You will not be able to transfer the challahs any more after this point.)
- Apply an egg wash (made with 1 beaten egg and a dash of honey) to your Challah and sprinkle with a bit more cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes on 425F, then lower oven to 350F degrees and bake an additional 35 minutes or until done.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates