If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I first sampled this chili, I did not even realize that this bean stew had a distinct name. I later learnt all about chili and this meatless version still holds center stage in my kitchen. Bev had thought of serving it, both as a mechanism of introducing this iconic stew to me as well as thinking that I would find the flavors comforting and closer to home. Indeed, now that I have absorbed these flavors and made them my own, I realize the common overtones of cumin and tomatoes that form the base of this chili. As with all dishes, you make your swaps, I use quinoa instead of the bulgur her recipe had and have spiced up the cornbread to take it to a completely different level.
My kids call Beverly grandma Bev and hence the name —Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
For the chili
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 medium, onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne powder or to taste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 2 to3 bay leaves
- 3 cups chopped diced tomatoes canned or about 10 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and coarsely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 11/2 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus extra to garnish
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- grated cheddar
- chopped scallions
- Heat the oil and add in the onions and garlic and saute well for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in the cumin, the red cayenne powder and the paprika.
- Mix in the oregano, thyme and bay leaves with the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, bell peppers, carrots and pinto beans and 1 cup water.
- Stir in the quinoa and salt and simmer the chili for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more water if needed. Check for seasonings.
- Add in the chopped cilantro and mix well and simmer for another 15 minutes and serve with your choice of garnishes.