As a part of my continued foray into economics, especially food economics and waste, I am finding out that the use of frozen fruit and vegetables is a saviour. Take my Mixed Berry Cake, for example.
I take the best in frozen berries, and create two separate recipes with them, to combine them both into one amazing dessert.
Did I tell you it also has custard! —FatLadFood
- Serves 4
Self Raising Flour
- To make the Coulis Put the frozen berries into a saucepan, and bring up to a high heat.
- Add the sugar and Water, mixing for 10mins, until the sugar is dissolved and the fruit is beginning to break down.
- Put the mixture into a liquidizer and blitz down, until smooth.
- Pour out in to the pan again, and set aside for later.
- For the Cake Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Cream the butter and margarine together, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well before each addition.
- Add in the flour, and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the frozen berries and vanilla, ensuring they are mixed well with the sponge batter.
- Line a tin with grease-proof paper.
- Put all of the sponge mixture into the lined tin, and then spread out evenly.
- Put into the oven and cook for 50-55mins.
- Take the cake out of the oven when cooked. Leave to cool fully before peeling of the grease-proof paper.
- When cool, cut out one long slice, as thick as you would like it, then cut that slice in half.
- Heat some custard in a pan.
- Put a slice of the cake into a shallow bowl, and then fill in the sides of the bowl with the hot custard.
- Spoon over the coulis onto one side of the cake, and allow it to cover it.
- Add some raspberries to the top.
- A beautiful dessert, making the best out of frozen food, whats not to love!