If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This delicious chicken recipe was created for the Jewish New Year, as it contains many ingredients that are symbolic for a sweet new year. The filling is sweet, with a middle eastern flavor, and the pomegranate glaze gives the chicken a glorious color and tangy-ness. Serve the chicken on a bed of baby arugula and decorate with pomegranate arils and cut figs. It makes for a spectacular, holiday-worthy dish! —Rachel Berger
Leek and Date Filling
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 leeks, white and light green parts, cleaned well, havved and sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat oil and add the leeks. Saute about 4-5 minutes, until softened, then add the ginger and garlic, and saute another minute. Add the dates, and stir to combine, then sprinkle with the salt, cumin and coriander.Add the honey, venegar and molasses. Continue to cook until the dates break apart, and the entire mixture becomes jam-like. Stir in the parsley, remove from heat, and set aside.
Pomegranate Glaze and Chicken
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6-8 chicken breasts (skinned and deboned)
- Combine the glaze ingredients and bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil for 1 minute and set aside.
- Butterfly open the chicken cutlets, and pound to an even thickness. Place 2-4 tablespoons of the leek and date filling on the chicken, and spread evenly. Carefully roll up chicken, jelly-roll style, along the long edge and place seam-side down in a 9x13 dish. Continue with the remaining cutlets.
- To serve: Slice the chicken into half inch “coins”. On a large platter, arrange a nice bed of arugula, and place the chicken pieces decoratively on top. Sprinkle liberally with pomegranate arils, mint and decorate plate with fresh figs. Drizzle with reserved glaze and serve at room temperature (or cold). Enjoy!