If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The ultimate breakfast scone. The browned butter adds nutty layer to the sweet dates and salty bacon. The aroma of your favorite breakfast fills your kitchen —Marie Fama Valdes
Makes 9 large
pieces bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
cups all purpose flour
teaspoons baking powder
cup brown sugar
cup chopped pitted dates
teaspoons maple flavored extract
cup half and half
tablespoons sparkling sugar for sprinkling
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter on medium heat level. Butter will begin to foam, continue to cook butter stirring continuously until golden brown in color, approximately 3-5 minutes. Watch carefully and do not burn. Cool butter to a solid state, you can refrigerate to speed up the cooling.
- In a medium sauce pan, cook chopped bacon until crisp, drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Whisk to combine. Add chopped dates and bacon and whisk.
- Scrap the cooled brown butter and incorporate into the flour mixture until small lumps of butter are well distributed.
- Pour 1 cup half and half into a measuring cup and add the maple extract, stir to combine. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.
- Drop 1 cup size pieces of dough onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle top of each scone with sparkling sugar.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes until golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the middle of a scone should come out clean. Move scones to wire rack and cool.
More Great Recipes: