If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Naturally sweetened with dates to form a gooey caramel perfect for wrapping around apples. A sinfully delicious high-fiber, high-protein treat made with whole foods that won't leave you feeling guilty. —Cara Asalita Schrock
- 1 1/2 cups packed medjool dates, pitted (about 15 dates)
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter (can sub nut-butter of choice)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk, I used soy
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon mesquite powder
- 6 small apples
- 2 cups topping of choice such as chopped nuts or shredded coconut
- If your dates feel really dry and stiff, pre-soak them in hot water for 10 minutes to soften.
- Combine the dates, cashew butter, salt, dairy-free milk, water, and vanilla into a food processor and run until smooth. You may need to stop the processor to scrape down the sides.
- Transfer date-caramel mixture to a bowl. You can try to dip and roll around the apples or just spread the caramel on with a knife or rubber spatula.
- Roll the caramel-coated apple into a shallow bowl of chopped nuts and enjoy! Store apples in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates