If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We all love Chex Mix. For us foodies, that creates a problem. It's just too common, too easy and over-promoted during Superbowl. So I came up with a version that will please the gourmet as well as the casual snacker. —janet voris
Serves 10 cups
- 2 cups each: Corn, Rice and Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup Fried peas
- 1 cup Sesame sticks (or chow mein noodles)
- 2 cups Whole roasted nuts (peanuts, honey roasted peanuts, cashews, almonds)
- 1/2 stick Butter (or 1/4 cup of alternate oil)
- 2 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hoisen sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- Popcorn Salt (or fine salt)
- Preheat oven to 250°
- In a large bowl, mix together cereal, peas, sesame sticks and nuts. Set aside
- In a small bowl, melt butter in microwave (or in a small pot on stovetop)
- Add next 6 ingredients. ( DO NOT ADD BROWN SUGAR YET) Mix well
- Drizzle over cereal mixture and toss to coat well.
- Now, sprinkle in brown sugar and toss again.
- Transfer to a 17x13 sheet pan. Spread out evenly and LIGHTLY salt.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 mins and LIGHTLY re-salting after each time.
- Cool completely. Store in covered container. Keeps for a few weeks.
More Great Recipes: