- Serves 2
I love the crisp and crunch of tempura and if I could, I will tempura everything! That is how this recipe was born as I was looking for changing up flavors from the usual savory versions of tempura. Dates provided the right chewiness below the crusty exterior, and the salty cheese perfectly balanced the sweetness of the Dates. The more wrinkly your date is the better the batter clings to it. —Can't live without
pitted Dates, bite sized
crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
All purpose flour
Salt (or to taste)
black pepper powder (or to taste)
1 1/4 cups
ice cold water
Oil for deep frying (any one of peanut, canola, vegetable or grapeseed oils)
- Stuff the Dates with Gorgonzola cheese (alternatively you can use Bleu Cheese or Feta or Goat cheese) If your Dates are too big, cut into half for smaller bites.
- Heat oil (about 3 inches high) in a wide saucepan. Oil temperature should be around 325 degrees Fahrenheit for crispy tempura.
- In the meantime in a large bowl add flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, sesame oil and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolk and add 1 1/4 cup of ice water to it. Add this liquid to dry ingredients and mix lightly (chop sticks are the best. If not, use a fork).Do not over mix, let the batter remain lumpy.
- Dip the Dates in the batter and fry them 4-5 at a time till golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve immediately with tempura dipping sauce.