Author Notes: Mushroom, chopped dates and pancetta atop a sweet and earthy olive oil sauce with smoked mozzarella, fontina and gouda cheese —Joseph Brownell
Makes: 1 - 12 inch pizza
homemade or store-bought pizza crust
cup olive oil
tablespoons apple cider vinegar
teaspoons coconut sugar
teaspoon white pepper
cup chopped sage, reserving a few leaves to fry for garnish (optional)
ounces mushrooms, sliced
ounces chopped pancetta
garlic clove, minced
ounces shredded cheese blend (smoked mozzarella, fontina and gouda)
tablespoons veggie stock (optional) or water
In This Recipe
- Prepare your pizza crust. If homemade, prep and proof; if store bought, let come to room temperature.
- Sautee mushroom and pancetta with half of garlic until crisp. Set aside for pizza.
- Roughly chop the dates, setting aside half for the sauce and the other half for the pizza.
- Combine half of chopped dates, other half of garlic, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, pepper and sage in small food processor or use immersion blender to blend. If necessary, add vegetable stock (or water), by tablespoons, to thin. (I used 2 TBS)
- Roll out pizza dough and top with 3/4 of date sage sauce, reserving the remainder to drizzle afterwards.
- Add remaining chopped dates, pancetta and mushrooms. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.
- Fry remaining sage leaves (optional), garnish pizza, and drizzle with remaining date-sage sauce. Cut and enjoy!