If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom has been making a date cake since I can remember. I loved it each time she made it, this is my take on her recipe. I first made it for a friend who does not eat eggs, and since then it has been a favorite of family and friends. I make vegan/sugar free version if any guests have dietary restriction. I make another similar cake with dried Apricots and Almonds —Anagha
Makes: 8 by 10 pan
tablespoons Granulated sugar
cup All purpose flour ( I use 1/2 cup APF & 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
cup Oil ( I use Saffola)
teaspoon Baking Soda
teaspoon Baking Powder
cups Milk ( you can also use Soy or Almond milk to make a vegan version)
tablespoons Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- Remove the seeds from the dates if not using seedless.
- Soak the dates(save 2-3 to be chopped &added to the batter) in warm milk (3-4 hours is enough for the dates we get here)
- Blend them to a smooth paste along with the milk in which it is soaked in.
- Add oil and mix
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Sieve together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the mixture one table spoon at a time to the date mixture and mix slowly
- Add sugar if needed. I don't add it if I am making a no- sugar version, and the dates add enough sweetness to the cake
- Chop the 2-3 saved dates and add to the batter
- Add the nuts, chopped dates and mix
- Grease a bread pan or a 8x10 Cake pan
- Pour the mixture in the pan and bake for about 35-40 mins (until the inserted knife comes out clean)