This no-churn strawberry ice-cream or semifreddo is quick, super easy to make, creamy and delicious. The balsamic roasted strawberries make extra sauce that you can douse the ice-cream in!
This no-churn strawberry ice-cream or semifreddo is quick, super easy to make, creamy and delicious. The balsamic roasted strawberries make extra sauce that you can douse the ice-cream in!—Jenny
Makes: 2 mini loaves loaves (15.5cm x 9cmx 4.6cm)
Balsamic Roasted Strawberries
pint strawberries – cleaned, hulled and halved or quartered depending on size
cup balsamic vinegar
tablespoons brown sugar
For the Semifreddo
large eggs seperated
cup fine granulated sugar
cup whipping cream
- TO ROAST STRAWBERRIES Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil with sides coming up to keep the juices from flowing under the foil. DO NOT skip this step. Mix all the ingredients and lay them on the baking sheet. I just mix it right on the sheet itself. Roast for 20 – 25 mins till you have a thick syrup. Keep in mind that the syrup gets thicker as it cools. Remove from oven and let cool completely. This can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and used on pancakes, waffles, cakes, cocktails or eaten on its own!
- I use mini silicone loaf pans (15.5cm x 9cmx 4.6cm). If using metal loaf pan, line with cling wrap. Leave an overhang on all sides, big enough to over the top and lift out the semifreddo easily if needed. This step is not required if using silicone pans.
- Whip the egg whites with 1 tbsp sugar till stiff peaks form and put it in the fridge.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and place over a bain marie/double boiler over simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Whisk till pale and thick and the mixture is hot to touch. Don’t over heat it or the eggs will start to cook and scramble.
- Remove from heat, let cool slightly. While the eggs yolks are heating, start whipping the cream till soft peaks form.
- Once the yolk mixture is slightly cooler, fold the whipped cream into the egg mixture.
- Fold in 2/3 of the roasted strawberries and the syrup into the yolk -cream mixture.
- Lastly gently fold in the egg whites bit by bit till fully incorporated. Pour into pans and place in the freezer for atleast 4 hours or overnight.
- Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving. Eat with reserved roasted strawberries on a spring day!