These are stupid good. Everything you love about a scone, plus delicious crunchy bits of chocolate wafer cookie and melty frosting bits. An elevation of the humble oreo!
The trick to this recipe is as to, Jamie Oliver says, "be confident in doing as little as possible" to the dough. It will be a little crumbly because of the extra dry ingredients, but the bigger-than-usual chunks of butter will make up for it! —Clair Gu
- Makes 8 scones
Chocolate creme sandwich cookies
butter of a good quality, salted and very cold
- Preheat the oven to 415. Blitz the oreo cookies in a food processor until crumbly and pea-sized, but not too small. Pour into a small ball and stick it in the freezer.
- Add the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder to the food processor. Pulse twice to combine. Cut the butter into the butter in small chunks. Pulse 6-7 times. Put the butter-flour mixture into the freezer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream, egg, vanilla, and zest. Whisk until well-blended.
- Remove the cookies and butter-flour mixture from the freezer and dump *on top of* the cream and egg mixture. Fold the ingredients together until a shaggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat the dough together with a pastry scraper into a 2.5" high by ~8" wide circle. DO NOT OVERWORK THE DOUGH! It should just barely hold together.
- Using a round 3" pastry cutter, cut 8 equal circles, reworking the dough into a round when you run out of space.
- Flip the rounds upside down and transfer the rounds to a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Brush the tops with the wash of your choice (egg for shininess, cream for a matte finish) and sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
- Place the cookie sheet into the center rack of the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 400. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden on the tops. Note: these freeze beautifully before being baked.
- Optional modifications: -Steep the cream with mint leaves and then chill it for mint chocolate cookies and cream -Increase the orange zest by 2x for chocolate orange -Swap the oreos for shortbread and steep earl grey tea into the cream for "tea and biscuits" scones