If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tis the season for oranges to be plentiful and this Refreshing Winter Citrus Salad Recipe is just the thing to drown out the winter blues, wake up your tastebuds and start thinking about spring!
You know I love blood oranges and Cara Cara’s are so nice too as this salad combines both of them along with pink grapefruit, regular navel oranges, some celery for crunch and young escarole leaves for a touch of bitterness. The oil cured black olives add contrast and just the right amount of extra salt, while the thinly slivered red onions do their thing. This is DELICIOUS!! —MaryFrancesCooks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 navel orange
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 1 small pink grapefruit
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 tender celery stalks, thinly sliced at an angle
- Handful black oil cured olives
- 1/2 small head of escarole
- Large pinch of flaky Maldon sea salt
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Wash and spin dry the escarole leaves. Wrap in paper toweling and chill in the refrigerator.
- To remove the peel from all of the citrus fruit, use a small serrated or very sharp boning knife. First, cut off a thin slice of peel from the top and bottom of the orange, so it can sit flat on the cutting board. Next, take off the peel, cutting from top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit. Try to remove only the peel and white pith, not the flesh of the fruit. It should end up being perfectly spherical and naked.
- Once peeled, carefully slice peeled citrus crosswise. Arrange escarole leaves on a large platter. Arrange all citrus slices in a random pattern on top of the escarole, letting them overlap a bit here and there. Scatter onion and celery over top. Dot the surface with olives.
- Whisk vinaigrette again, and spoon evenly over the salad. Sprinkle lightly with flaky salt and serve with LOVE.
- Serve with LOVE and enjoy!!