- Serves 8-12
I made this gluten free tart for some friends who were coming over for a last minute dinner using pantry items and ingredients in my fridge. I always have lime and frozen knobs of ginger on the ready, so I used a trusty basic almond tart recipe I came up with and made this punchy coconut pudding flavored with lime and ginger on the stove and poured into the cooled shell. Just needs chilling to set and voila....done and done. so easy and quick to make. Liked this because you can really enjoy the flavors year round and you don't need any seasonal fruit to make it work. Sort of a stepsister to a key lime pie. My friend who is a chef from Spain LOVED the ginger whereas my fiancé found it too gingery so you can adjust the amount based on your liking or omit it altogether if you're not the ginger type;) —Danielle Rehfeld Colen
- For the Crust:
unsalted butter, melted
- For the Filling:
1 13.5 ounces
can coconut milk(full fat)
1 14 ounces
can sweetened condensed milk
fresh lime juice(from the 2-3 limes)
grated fresh ginger*
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour and sugar. Mix well. Stir in the warm melted butter until wet and crumbly. Pat into a 9” fluted tart pan. Bake until golden brown about 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and ginger in a small pot.
- Place the rice flour in a small bowl. Slowly add ¾ cup cold water, whisking all the while until smooth. Add to the pot of coconut milk, slowly whisking it in.
- Turn the heat to medium high and whisk until little bubbles start to form and the mixture has thickened to a pudding like consistency, about 2-3 minutes. Quickly pour into the tart shell. It will begin to set immediately so don’t mess with it too much or else it won’t be pretty. You could always cover it with whipped cream if you want!
- Chill in the fridge at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- *Cook’s note: I always keep some ginger handy in my freezer and grate directly on a microplane skin and all.