If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite kind of mezze is spicy feta dip. The savory little appetizer was one of my favorite menu items at local greek restaurants in Astoria, Queens such as Elias Corner. Perhaps the best version came from a now closed gourmet shop on the Upper East Side which I believe was called litsitakos(sp?). They had great produce, prepared foods, cheese, salumi and made THE best pastistsio, moussaka, and spreads, in particular this feta dip. The people that worked there did so for over 20 years and were all phenomenal people from Greece, bangladesh and Ecuador. I never got the recipe but I knew it had jalapeño, feta and a little oregano. After trying out a bunch of different combinations, I came up with the closest possible version! Love this with fresh pita, baguette, crackers or crudite! It's hands down the most loved snack over the many years I had people over to my apt. —Danielle Rehfeld
- 2 pounds great quality greek feta, crumbled
- 1 jalapeno, sliced(seeds included if you like it spicy)
- Pinch dry oregano
- Sea salt, to taste
- Set the feta out on the counter for about 15-20 minutes to take off the chill.
- Combine the feta, peppers and oregano into a high powered blender such as a vitamix, or use a food processor. (if using a blender, place the jalapeños in first. This helps to create some juices and liquid to spin the cheese).
- Pulse a few time to combine and run the blender on low speed or food processor regularly, stopping and scraping down as needed until the feta is creamy and whipped and the peppers is finely chopped and combined. The cheese while have a slightly green hue. Season to taste with salt. Depending on the feat you use the salt and creaminess will vary.
- Serve with fresh bread, flatbread, crackers, or crudite. It's wonderful with other mezze or even with a breakfast spread such as hard boiled eggs, tomatoes and avocado.