If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A wet curry of potatoes, peas, and tomatoes is a thing of beauty because it can be a part of an everyday meal as well as a component of a festive Gujarati thali. Beloved by children and adults alike, this curry can be enjoyed with roti, puri, paratha, or even bread. —Annada Rathi
Serves 3 to 4
- 2 medium white potatoes (400 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Thai chile pepper (10 grams), sliced into thin round slices (optional)
- 1 Roma tomato (100 grams), diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Use the sharp end of a knife to make several holes through the skin of the potatoes. Boil the potatoes in the pot, covered, until a knife pierces smoothly and easily into a potato, about 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes, let cool, then peel and dice into 1-inch pieces.
- Pour oil in a sautée pan and turn the heat to medium. After a couple of minutes, add the black mustard seeds and cumin seeds carefully: They'll sputter.
- Add diced green chile peppers and tomatoes once the mustard and cumin seeds stop popping.
- Follow with turmeric, grated ginger, ground coriander, cumin, and red chile powder. Season with salt. Cook for about 10 minutes. The tomatoes will have broken down and the dish should be very fragrant.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water and let boil. Add diced potatoes and frozen peas.
- Cook for 10 minutes and add garam masala. Mash 4 to 6 pieces of potatoes with the back of a steel cooking spoon in order to thicken the gravy. Cook for another 5 to 8 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with roti or paratha.