If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are thousands of variations of chicken salad. Some recipes include mayonnaise while others have a mustard base. Some are crunchy, some are not. Some recipes have fruit while other recipes have vegetables. No two recipes are the same, including mine. Making chicken salad is any opportunity for me to experiment with different flavor combinations. Tonight when I made chicken salad I was looking for something light and crunchy. I included gala apples for crunchy and sweetness, dried cranberries for some tartness, and lemon zest to make it light and flavorful. Hope you enjoy. (Quick tip: Take a short cut and purchase a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket to make this salad. The cooking is already done for you and there is little clean up. Perfect for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner!) - A Couple Bites —A Couple Bites
Food52 Review: This is a lovely twist on chicken salad. The secret ingredients are celery seed and lemon zest, and they really perk things up, and are a nifty complement to the cranberries and apples. I served it once on a lightly toasted English muffin, as A Couple Bites suggests, and once atop some baby arugula, dressed with a light vinaigrette. Both were so satisfying. If, as I did, you prefer a bit more moisture, just add a squirt or two of lemon juice or another couple of teaspoons of mayo. - calendargirl —The Editors
- 1 split chicken, removed from bone, skin removed & shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small gala apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries and/or golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Zest from one small lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (taste as you go)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Spread on an english muffin or toast, add fresh spinach and/or tomato, and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch