If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dessert empanada recipe uses figs for a delicious flavor. You can substitute the figs for many different kinds of fruit and feel free to experiment with this recipe. Check out the video recipe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2UBpXLeJZs&feature=player_embedded —MuyBueno
- 15-20 figs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- lemon zest from half a lemon
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Wedge figs and add honey and lemon zest and set aside.
- Make pastry by combining all dry ingredients and then cut in shortening and add egg and milk.
- Roll out pastry and fill with fig mixture.
- Place empanadas on a greased cookie sheet and brush with egg whites.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch