If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This lentil spinach masala is really a canvas on which you can try all sorts of variations. It is a delicious, nutritious meal for one person when you want to make the least effort but crave a warm cozy meal. —Jenny
Serves 1 person
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small red onion - finely chopped
- 1 red / green chili (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric pwd
- 2 teaspoons coriander pwd
- 1 teaspoon cumin pwd
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- handfuls spinach
- salt to taste
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 egg
- few sprigs fresh cilantro
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup red lentils - cooked (lentils should be soft but firm, not mushy)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet on the stove. Once hot, add the bay leaf.
- When the bay leaf is fragrant, add the onion and chili and cook on medium high till golden. Stir frequently.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a half a minute.
- Add the spice powders all at once. Fry for about 15 seconds till fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the tomato paste. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the lentils and the spinach. Add ¼ cup water, if you feel the mixture it is too dry and is sticking to the pan. Once the spinach is soft, add the cream and mix.
- Break the egg in a small bowl. Make a well with a spoon in the lentil spinach masala, gently drop the egg.
- Place the skillet in the oven for around 5-7 minutes till the whites are set. My egg was cooked for about 8 minutes because I prefer a firm yolk.
- Remove from oven, drizzle some cream, add some fresh cilantro, squeeze the lemon juice over it and serve over hot rice or big slices of bread or with grains.
- Note – Try different variations by adding coconut milk instead of heavy cream, or add other vegetables or add some cooked chicken instead of egg.