If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These easy meatballs are quick to make and go great on salad on in a pita the next day. Instead of egg to bind the meat, this recipe uses hummus which adds extra flavour. —Krista Ettles - Real Food, Real Simple
For the meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the tomato sauce
- 1 12 ounces can strained tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350* To make the meatballs, combine ground lamb, mustard, oregano, garlic, hummus, salt and pepper. Once combined, shape mixture into 2 inch balls. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe skillet over med-high heat. Cook meatballs in batches making sure not to crowd the pan, turning occasionally until meatballs are browned on all sides. Remove from the pan but keep the pan on medium heat.
- Add the strained tomatoes to the pan to deglaze. Add the olives and simmer for 5 min.
- Return the meatballs to the pan and place in the oven for 15-20 min.
- Remove from the oven and add parsley, basil and arugula. Stir until combined and arugula is wilted. Serve as a meal over mashed potatoes or pasta, or as an appetizer with pita bread for dipping.