If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An ode to my brother who abides by a strict vegan/gluten free diet. This side dish perfectly complements a spicy dish as it has mostly sweet notes....'dank dank dank' according to my bro.....
Note: Use high quality sushi rice —justin rashbaum
cup Sushi Rice (Kokuho Rose)
can Coconut milk
pound Carmelized whole pecans
splashes sushi rice vinegar
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground Tellicherry pepper to taste
- Pulverize 1/4 pound of carmelized pecans in a spice grinder. Set aside.
- Place 1 cup of Sushi Rice in at least a 3" high skillet. Add the liquid of 1 can of coconut milk to the rice and incorporate into the rice. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Add two tablespoons of the solidified portion of the coconut milk. Hand mix until smooth
- Here's the rice technique: Add water to the skillet until 1/2 the top portion of your hand is covered by water when pressing down on the rice. The key is to add enough water to cook the rice in roughly 12 minutes with a creamy but non-liquidy end result. Bring to a high heat until the sides of the liquid bubble consistently. Place a towel underneath a lid that fits the skillet. Wrap the towel around the top of the skillet so the towel doesnt touch the flame. Turn the heat down to a medium heat and cook covered. Check after 10 minutes. In roughly 10-12 minutes, the rice should be solid and creamy but with no underlying liquid.
- Add 3 splashes of sushi rice vinegar, kosher salt and black pepper and stir.
- Plate immediately and add the carmelized pecans on top.